Friday, March 03, 2006

Presenting the Worst Indian Citizen Award to...

Last week I was watching the Black, er... Filmfare awards for lack of anything better on TV. I have always been a huge fan of these awards but over the last few years, with the cropping up of innumerable other film awards with names that are nothing short of tongue twisters, Filmfare has lost most of its charm. More and more they appear to be nothing but monumental events of mutual back-slapping. By the way, will someone please explain why we kept losing transmission each time, precisely when Abhishek Bachchan walked on to the stage either to present/receive an award or to perform?? Something genuinely fishy there I say.

The one thing I truly enjoyed was the surprise dance performance by our dear ol Dhak Dhak girl (Madhuri Dixit), man she can still give any girl in this industry a run for her money. It was sheer joy watching the lady dance, no one even comes close.

The other show-stopper kind of stunt these guys pulled on the award night was a special appearance by Will Smith. Before I make my point, I won't be wrong in saying that Will Smith is a well-known face and an international star. Now if you all agree to that, let’s move on. Now, picture our very own Miss goody two shoes Rani Mukherjee, she walks onto the stage, by now I'd lost count how many times she'd already been up there that evening, she yaks away to glory, thanking everyone between Bollywood and Bengal barely acknowledging the presence of the person who announced AND presented her with the Best Actress Award i.e., Will Smith.

As she continued with her never-ending speech, I kept thinking that perhaps now...now she will address him or say something to the poor soul. It never happened. I was shocked, believe me. Next morning, a journalist pointed out the same incident, and I believe he got it right when he stated that Rani Mukherjee was apparently upset over the fact the Will Smith had, in his wish list, mentioned a desire to meet up with Miss World, Aishwarya Rai.

Now, I'm no fan of Ms Rai. But we cannot ignore the fact that she too is an internationally well-known personality thanks to her Miss World status. And the joke of it all, Will Smith was punished for having expressed his desire to meet up with her. Talk about the height of rivalry or jealousy. Call it what you may, I call it sheer impudence and bad manners.

ATITHI DEVO BHAVA, an initiative by Ministry of Tourism, India, propagates the idea of each and every Indian citizen being an ultimate and helpful host to every person visiting his/her country. And here we see a well-known personality from our film industry putting each and every Indian to shame just because she is too wrapped up in her own issues and stupid enough to let her personal rivalries come in the way of being a good host and Indian citizen. Whatever the reason, Will Smith was a guest in this country.

All the awards and talent in the world are useless if you forget your basic values. Therefore, I solemnly award Rani Mukherjee with the Worst Indian Citizen Award for her deplorable, bad manners.

2 comments:

Urvashi said...

Hmmm... we cannot say for certain na that the reason behind Rani Mukherjee's bad manners was her rivalry with Aishwarya Rai. Even I was a bit stunned that she did not acknowledge him, other than the fake kisses when she received her trophy.
I was soooooo mad when Abhishek Bachchan's appearances were blanked out! It happened all over India I think, at least it did in Hyderabad and Delhi too.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I agree. Rani thinks she is the best actress in India today. She was good in Black. I must agree and she also desreves the award... I think so because I don't know who else was nominated... hahaha! i have completely lost interest in these award functions. Things have gone sooo corrupt that its absolutely useless to pay any attention to such TV events. Dal... thanks for briefing me on filmfare awards Ha ha ha! These filmfare guys have made sure that no award goes to someone out of Yash Chopra, SRK camp, and thats one of very important reasons why it has lost its credibility.